Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Challenges of an Installation


What makes good art? Or the converse, what makes art bad?

I never had an art class and I don’t consider myself an artist, so as Kurt Vonnegut once said to me (true story), “If I don’t like what you’ve written, it is perfectly fine to tell me to go to hell.” The same goes here. I am not trying to be high-minded.

Five qualities to consider:

Craft – does the artist have control over the medium?

Unity – does the work hang together with a coherent meaning, rather than having divergent styles, distractions, and inconsistent meanings?

Composition – does it lay out well? Is it interesting in its organization and spacing?

Color and Shade – does the work take advantage of color elements, or is it muddled?

Theme – as a hack writer, I get themes. Does the art tell a story? What might the lessons be?

No comments: